Lustra has now been discontinued by the manufacturer and is no longer available. Please consider newly reformulated Lustra AF, which contains 4% hydroquinone plus sunscreen.
Lustra and Lustra AF contain 4% hydroquinone and are indicated for the gradual treatment of skin discoloration (often referred to as hyperpigmentation) resulting from over-exposure to the sun and the use of oral contraceptives, pregnancy, hormone replacement therapy, or skin trauma.
Lustra is an over the counter product in Canada.
Read more about hyperpigmentation here.
Read more about hydroquinone here.
Apply Lustra to the affected areas twice daily—morning and before bedtime—or as directed by a physician. Limit sun exposure, apply and use a sunscreen or sun-protective clothing to cover the treated areas to prevent repigmentation.
There is no recommended dosage for patients under 12 years of age except under the advice and supervision of a physician.
Hydroquinone will only affect the skin area that is treated and has never been reported to affect parts of the body distant from the site of application. However, treatment should be limited to relatively small areas of the body at one time, since some patients experience temporary skin reddening and a mild burning sensation.
LUSTRA and LUSTRA-AF are indicated for the gradual treatment of ultraviolet induced dyschromia and discoloration resulting from the use of oral contraceptives, pregnancy, hormone replacement therapy, or skin trauma.
Use Lustra carefully:
- CAUTION: Hydroquinone, the active ingredient in Lustra and Lustra AF treats skin discoloration. It is a depigmenting agent that lightens areas of the skin that are darker than the surrounding skin, and it may produce unwanted cosmetic effects if not used as directed.
- Test for skin sensitivity before using Lustra or Lustra AF by applying a small amount to an unbroken patch of skin and check within 24 hours. Minor redness does not necessarily mean treatment should be stopped. Where there is itching, blistering, or excessive swelling and redness, further treatment is not advised; however, it is recommended that you contact your physician. Contact with the eyes should be avoided. If no lightening effect is noted after two months of treatment, discontinue treatment.
- Sunscreen use is an essential aspect of hydroquinone therapy because even minimal sunlight encourages the skin to produce more color. During treatment and maintenance therapy, sun exposure should be avoided on treated skin by application of a broad-spectrum sunscreen (SPF 15 or greater) or by use of protective clothing to prevent repigmentation. Although Lustra has an antioxidant system in its vehicle, there are no sun blocking or sun screening agents in Lustra. Lustra AF contains sunscreen.
- Keep this and all medications out of the reach of children. In case of accidental swallowing, contact a physician or a poison control center immediately.
- WARNING: Contains sodium metabisulfite, a sulfite which may cause serious allergic reactions (e.g., hives, itching, wheezing, anaphylaxis, severe asthma attack) in certain susceptible persons.
Important Safety Information: Hydroquinone may produce unwanted effects if not used as directed. Occasional skin irritation may occur. Lustra and Lustra AF should be tested for skin sensitivity prior to use. Excessive inflammatory responses are contraindications for further use, while minor redness is not. Contact with eyes should be avoided. Warning: Lustra and Lustra AF contain sodium metabisulfite, which may cause serious allergic reactions (eg. hives, itching, wheezing, anaphylaxis, severe asthma attack) in certain susceptible persons.
PRECAUTIONS: Important Notice
- Pregnancy Category C: Animal reproduction studies have not been conducted with topical hydroquinone. It is also not known whether hydroquinone can cause fetal harm when used topically on a pregnant woman or can affect reproductive capacity. It is not known to what degree, if any, topical hydroquinone is absorbed systemically. Topical hydroquinone should be used in pregnant women only where clearly indicated.
- Nursing mothers: It is not known whether topical hydroquinone is absorbed or excreted in human milk. Caution is advised when hydroquinone is used by a nursing mother.
- Pediatric usage: Safety and effectiveness in pediatric patients below the age of 12 years have not been established.
ACTIVE INGREDIENT: Hydroquinone USP 4%.
OTHER INGREDIENTS (LUSTRA® ): Purified Water USP, Phenyl Trimethicone, Glycerin 99% USP, Glyceryl Stearate (and) PEG-100 Stearate,Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol NF, Cyclopentasiloxane (and) Polysilicone-11, Linoleic Acid, Glycolic Acid, Polyacrylamide (and) C13-14 Isoparaffin (and)Laureth-7, Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Ceteareth-20, Triethanolamine 99% USP, Tocopheryl Acetate USP, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Phenoxyethanol,Magnesium 1-Ascorbyl Phosphate NF, Benzyl Alcohol NF, Dimethiconol, Sodium Metabisulfite NF, Sodium Citrate USP, Disodium EDTA USP,Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Vitamin E USP, Carbomer NF, Fragrance.
Taro Pharmaceuticals Inc.